Police & Courts Frequently Asked Questions

Can Tribal Police pull me over, detain or arrest me if I’m not Native?

Yes. Starting July 1, 2017 Suquamish Police Officers have Washington State authority to; issue state citations to non-tribal members for state traffic violations on the reservation; pursue non-tribal traffic law violators and fleeing suspects past reservation boundaries and under certain circumstances, arrest non-tribal members for state crimes committed on the reservation. The change is part of an interlocal agreement between the Suquamish Tribe and Kitsap County, based upon RCW 10.92 of Washington State. For details on the agreement, download an informative brochure by clicking here.

If I am not Native, will I end up in Tribal Court on matters handled by Suquamish Officers?

No. You will appear in Kitsap County Court, just like with any other state case or citation.

Why do I have to call 911?  Can’t I just call the Police office?

The Suquamish Tribe works with Cencom, the same dispatch center that is used by every police and fire agency in Kitsap County, as well as Animal Control.  If you call our office directly you may not be answered in a timely manner, especially on evenings and weekends. If you need an officer, always call 911.

Where can I pay for a traffic ticket?

Please check the back our your ticket for when and where to pay your fine. Starting July 1, 2017 Suquamish Police will issue state traffic tickets to non-Indians. All traffic fines paid will go directly to the Washington State, to be dispersed like any other infraction. No money is allocated to the Tribe.

Can I report a crime online?

Yes; we are part of a county-wide online crime reporting system, which is located at:  http://www.kitsap911.org/report.htm  This system is for minor property crimes, where there is no known suspect information.  If you know who did the crime, or have suspect information, please call 911.  An officer still reviews the information you report, and may contact you for follow up.

Can I email you drug activity tips?

Yes. Here is our address for drug tips via email:  police_narcotics@suquamish.nsn.us

Do you have a Victims Services Program?

Yes; The Suquamish Tribe employs a Victim’s Advocate, who is charged with providing support and resources for victims of crime. The program advocate can be contacted Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm at (360) 394-7156. There is also a 24-hour response line for victims to call at (360) 328-6622.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

You may request a copy of a police report from our records specialist. Your request will be reviewed by the Chief of Police, and you’ll be contacted and notified of the outcome. As a general rule, if you are a party to a case such as a victim, you can get a copy of the report. If you are a suspect in a pending criminal matter, all of the reports will be provided to your attorney, and you can review them with your lawyer.

I have property that is in the Suquamish Police Evidence; how do I get it back?

This will vary from case to case. If the property is taken for safekeeping, then you just need to call and schedule an appointment to pick your items up. If your item was taken as evidence in a pending criminal matter, it may take longer. If you are a suspect, you need to work through your attorney regarding any items taken as evidence.

I have lots of prescription medications at my house; do you ever do “drug take backs”?

Yes! We have one of the most successful program in the County. We actually have a permanent “Drug Take Back” box in our lobby for that purpose, so you don’t have to wait for a special date or event; you can stop by whenever the lobby is open, Mon-Fri during regular business hours. It is a great idea to get those old prescription drugs out of your house. Lots of addicts get prescription drugs from visiting friends and family who have old prescriptions laying around the medicine cabinet.

I lost my crab pots.  How do I get them back?

Contact the Marine Division officers, whose number should be on the bottom of the regulation.  They frequently find crab pots that are moved by currents.  They will make an effort to locate the fishermen who is the registered owner of the pots, but if you lose a pot or two, it’s best to call us. If we notify you that we have your pot, please make it a priority to come get it; we have very limited space, and can’t store crab pots for any length of time.

Can people with warrants from Washington State or other States or Tribes “hide out” on the Port Madison reservation?

No. During the drafting of the Treaty of Point Elliott in 1855, the Suquamish Tribe agreed to “not to shelter or conceal offenders against the laws of the United States, but to deliver them up to the authorities for trial.” The Suquamish Police take that responsibility seriously, and move swiftly to apprehend fugitives. From the time we are notified that someone has a warrant to the time they are arrested by us is usually less than 24 hours. Suquamish is a small community, and hard to hide in.

I think I have a warrant for my arrest.  What do I do?

Call us during regular office hours Mon-Fri to speak with an officer. We’ll help you decipher the situation, and develop a plan of action. We’d much rather that people turn themselves in voluntarily; it’s safer and easier for everyone. The faster you get into the Court that issued the Warrant, the faster you can get the matter resolved, and move on with your life. If you turn yourself in voluntarily, it sends a strong message to the Judge that issued the warrant that you are done running, and are more likely to appear for future court dates. Every situation is different, so speaking to an officer is your best plan of action.

Can I get fingerprinted or get a concealed pistol license at the Suquamish Police Department?

As a general rule, no.

Can I complete Washington State Firearm Transfers at Suquamish Police?

Not at this time; it may be available in the future.